To support the 67 Minutes of Community Upliftment Drive for MANDELA DAY.Why 67? The late Mr Nelson Mandela spent more than 67 years serving his community, his country and the world. The number is symbolic of how people can start to do the same – to take responsibility for changing the world into a better place, one small step at a time, just as the late Mr Mandela did for more than 67 years.
The end goal of the annual Mandela Day Hippo Roller Challenge is to distribute 4, 489 Hippo Water Rollers (67 x 67) = 4,489 Families Transformed! CORPORATE: We appeal to corporate companies to use their Corporate social responsibility and Marketing budgets to sponsor Hippo Rollers for one or more communities (i.e. 67 x rollers per community).OTHER: We also appeal to NGOs, staff volunteer groups, other support groups and individuals to boost this campaign by making a contribution online and to challenge your peers to do the same.
- We select 67 communities around South Africa (sponsors may also nominate) who are situated in water-stressed areas, or who lack adequate or reliable water infrastructure.
- We coordinate and distribute the Hippo rollers on your behalf to the 67 communities (sponsors are welcome to attend) and we provide photos and stories of each handover.
- Families who own a Hippo Water Roller are able to enjoy the benefits immediately through improved access to water which is a basic human right.
- Predominantly women, children and the elderly benefit most while many men are starting to assist using the Hippo Roller.
- Community leaders often prioritise child-headed homes and the elderly looking after orphaned children.