An appropriate technology with broad social impact
The Hippo Water Roller is an appropriate technology widely accepted in many countries by communities where water infrastructure is either unreliable or totally non-existent.
Social Benefits. The Hippo roller was designed with an understanding that women and children are often responsible for water collection in rural communities.
The Hippo roller empowers women and children and gives them increased energy and productivity, which improves their morale and personal dignity. Most benefits experienced are immediate:
- It reduces the suffering and long-term injuries caused by carrying heavy loads
- Improves hygiene and health resulting in higher energy and morale levels
- More time attending school for better education opportunities
- More time for economic activities to break free of poverty e.g. vegetable gardens
- The elderly no longer have to rely on their neighbours’ goodwill to get water
- A positive cultural change is that men are proud to use this technology and now help to collect water
Food security. The time saved can be better spent focused on activities related to food production and food processing on the smallholder farm and household level.
Environment. In contrast to the erosion of footpaths caused by the narrow wheels of wheelbarrows, the wide rolling surface of the Hippo roller drum helps to compact the soil and protect these pathways.
Although the plastic can be recycled, we have found that once the Hippo roller is damaged, it has many other uses, e.g. storage bins, flower pots, feeding or watering troughs for animals or a bath for washing clothes and small children.